DIY Mail Organizer

24 Sep

I saw this post on Noodlehead about making your own fabric mail organizer, which I thought was GREAT as I was looking for one for my Home Management Center. Now I’ve made this a no sew version since I just didn’t feel to pull it out but also because it’s just be easier for everyone to do.

I haven’t done a tutorial before so if it’s lacking instructions galore please feel free to ask! I kind of did everything by sight but did write down measurements just so you’d have an idea.
What you need:
12″ x 24″ frame or whichever size you’d like to do
1 yards main fabric to cover the board (if you decide to put on pocket in the background you have enough with a 60″ width fabric for sure, probably even enough even if the width of the fabric is only 45″
1/2 yard in fabric for pockets, you will have left over!
1/4 yard heavy interfacing
Something stiff for the back I used an artist canvas I had there, but you can use anything to stiffen it up.
2 yards cotton twill tape
Glue gun
staple gun

I used a 1×3 piece of wood that I had laying around in the house to make the frame. The top and bottom pieces are 12″ long and the two sides are 24″.

So I had 2 piece of 24″ wood so I said great I’ll cut the second on in two and have my 12″ width, well I asked hubs but he never got chance to. So Wednesday I don’t know what possessed me I thought well we have that electric saw thing there let me try to cut it myself. Ah yes needless to say the wood was crooked but guess what not in the way you’d think. Yours truly cut it at an angle, how, I have no idea but I had to take an up close pic to show!

So my frame wasn’t exactly perfect! But you won’t be able to see it anyway so tough! I did get hubby to screw the pieces of wood together and they had those lovely spaces cause if I laid it flat who knows what shape I would have created! πŸ™‚

I then covered the frame with a piece of fabric that I cut to about 25″ wide by 33″ high this is to make sure you have enough to wrap around the sides and staple.

Then cut the pieces of fabric for the pockets 21 1/2″ wide x 9 1/2″ high cutting more is always better than less! I put the pieces of fabric right sides together and to the top run a line of glue along to stick the top pieces of fabric together which I then flipped over and pressed flat. Do not laugh at me, I don’t own an iron so I used my flat iron (yes the one you use for your hair) you can do this as well as the interfacing step! Talk about resourceful! πŸ˜‰

I then cut a piece of the interfacing 14″ wide x 8″ high as well as two 1 1/2″ wide x 8″ high strips. Just as picture below is how I placed it on the fabric. You basically are centering it on the fabric so that when you are ready to staple on to the frame everything lines up.

You iron the interfacting onto the fabric, what I did is if the flower part was the outside I ironed it onto the lining (the pink part) and if the pink was on the outside I ironed it on the lining (the flower part) just so if your ironing didn’t go too well it wouldn’t show on the outside piece of fabric.

Once you’ve done that it’s time to put it onto the frame, all you do is run a line of glue and stick the fabric on, make sure you’ve folded in the bottom so there are no rough edges and it’s all hidden. Below the first picture is of it totally stuck down the first bottom layer, I’ve just pulled it down for you to see how it looks from ‘behind’ and the second picture is how it looks once it’s been put up. That’s the ‘finished’ look.

I’m just realising I didn’t take enough pics, but I attached the other pockets, you can work from bottom to top. So you stick the bottom part first, place the middle, then top and then go back down to the bottom to then staple it upwards onto the wooden frame. All the time before stapling it will just be on the frame hanging down.

As you can see from the picture I angled it up slightly so that you can have it ‘pocket’ in the front versus laying flat.

Then I just stapled it to the back of the frame like below.

You can see the full angle of the side that it was done at here.

This is the back of the frame, you can see everything stapled into place, you can of course choose to finish the ends with ribbon and neaten it up in anyway you want, I just left everything raw cause no one will see it! πŸ™‚

And this is what it looks like completed! I added in the twill tape to kind of break up the pattern a bit I think it really needed it, I’ll see if I can look for the metal label holders though something tells me I might have to ask a friend to pick it up away. You can always print a nice label on a pretty piece of paper and stick it on πŸ™‚ no harm in that!


2 Responses to “DIY Mail Organizer”

  1. When did I become my Mom September 24, 2011 at 1:48 pm #

    Well that was the most entertaining tutorial I have ever read eh! But I love your creativity and passion. I'm going to try it. Maybe with some ply instead of the frame…LOVED THIS!

  2. Chaotic Mom September 27, 2011 at 1:10 am #

    That's a great idea, I utilised what I had around but the ply will work great!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: